Our Privacy Commitment
What is Personal Information?
In this policy, Personal Information has the same meaning as it does in the Privacy Act where it is defined as “Information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable.”
What types of your Personal Information do we collect?
Unico only collects Personal Information about you if you provide that information to us in our dealings with you. Depending on the nature of your interaction with us the types of information we may collect are:
- date of birth;
- residential, work and mobile phone numbers;
- residential and work addresses;
- residential and work email addresses;
- financial information (e.g. credit card and account details);
- qualifications and employment history;
- proof of identity information (e.g. birth certificate, passport, driver’s license);
- usage of our networks and facilities.
- We don’t collect information of a sensitive personal nature like your ethnicity, religion, health status, sexual preference, politics, or criminal record.
While we will always endeavour to advise you of the Personal Information we hold about you, we understand that you may not be comfortable with us holding this information. You can refuse to provide your Personal Information to us at any time, or may request us to treat it anonymously. If you decide to do so, however, we may not be able to provide you with our highest standard of service.
How do we collect your Personal Information?
Unico collects your Personal Information directly from you when you provide it to us. We use a variety of methods to collect your Personal Information such as in-person contact with our staff, printed forms, letters, subscriptions; telephone calls, emails, and electronic data.
Why do we collect and hold your Personal Information?
Unico collects and holds your Personal Information which is reasonably necessary to manage our business. This covers a wide range of activities such as:
- answering your queries about our business;
- marketing goods and services to you;
- to conduct promotions and competitions;
- providing you with goods and/or services:
- reviewing your application for employment with us;
- identifying you;
- paying you and maintaining our financial records;
- conducting relevant security checks;
- dealing with your complaints;
- strengthening workplace and data security;
- complying with the law.
How do we use your Personal Information?
Unico uses your Personal Information in many ways throughout our company to support the purposes outlined above. Some of these include:
- contacting you by letter, phone and email about your dealings with us;
- sending you marketing information about our goods and services;
- charging for goods and/or services;
- enabling you to participate in our promotions and competitions;
- verifying your identity;
- logging your access to our networks;
- paying you;
- conducting investigations of data security breaches and criminal acts.
Who do we share your Personal Information with?
Unico may share your Personal Information across our company with a range of personnel in the various areas of our business. We may also share your information externally with third parties who we work such as:
- information technology and cloud hosting service providers;
- sub-contractors who provide administrative support services such as recruitment and reference checking;
- imaging and document management services;
- business management services, consultancy firms and auditors;
- accounting and financial advisors;
- legal advisors;
- banks and financial institutions;
- government regulatory and enforcement agencies;
- an entity Unico is selling or transferring ownership of its business to;
- any other person or organisation you have asked us to provide your Personal Information to.
Some of the third parties we share your information with may be located overseas in the United States of America or Europe. From time to time these parties may also process information in India, Singapore and other countries. When using overseas providers we make every effort to deal with companies which have transparent security and privacy measures in place and we only provide them with as much information as they need to know. By providing any personal information to us, you acknowledge that we may deal with your personal information in this way and that it may be transferred and processed overseas. By providing us with your personal information, you consent to that information being transferred and processed overseas.
How do we store and protect your Personal Information?
- requiring our service providers and business partners to comply with Australian privacy law to the best of our ability;
- restricting access to your Personal Information on a needs to know basis;
- destroying and de-identifying your Personal Information once it is no longer required;
- auditing the security of our computer systems regularly and requiring the same from our service providers and business partners;
- providing our staff with training about privacy compliance and new data security technologies;
- encrypting data while in transit;
using virus detection software, firewalls, and closed networks.
How can you access and correct your Personal Information?
You have the right to access, update and correct your Personal Information held by us. To do this, please contact email@example.com and outline your request and contact details. We will contact you to verify your identity before we provide you with any Personal Information. You should be aware that we may not always be able to allow you access – for example, where we are prohibited by law or if somebody else’s privacy is at risk. If this occurs, we will make sure you know the reasons why.
How can you make a complaint to us?
If you have a complaint about how Unico handles your Personal Information or a privacy related issue, you may follow the process outlined below:
Step 1: Contact the Privacy Officer
The Privacy Officer will make every reasonable effort to resolve your complaint. They will contact you if additional information is required and will usually be able to give you a response within 15 business days. You can contact the Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 2: Seek a Review from the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
We aim to deal fairly and promptly with your complaint. If you remain dissatisfied, however, you can approach the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) for advice or to make a complaint. OAIC can be contacted by phone on 1300 363 992.
Please note that complaints to OAIC must be made in writing.
Director of Compliance
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
Our Contact Details
Unico Computer Systems
5 Queens Road,
Melbourne, VIC, 3004
Ph.: (03) 9866-5688
Unico does not guarantee that the information on this website is complete, although it is considered to be correct at the time of publishing. We are not liable for any loss or damage suffered by any person or body relying directly or indirectly on any information contained within this website, or through the use of this website. This website and its use are governed by the laws of Victoria, Australia, and by using this website you agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the courts of that State.