Achieving improved animal welfare outcomes through process digitisation and whole of life horse tracking
Unico is working with a key racing regulatory authority to help them leverage new technology to improve integrity processes and transform the welfare outcomes of racehorses.
- Leading Racing Regulatory Authority
- Integrity & welfare project
- Paper heavy processes with low efficiency, vulnerabilities, and increased risk of error
- Low traceability of retired horses and horses in post racing careers
- Need to build community engagement and demand for retired racehorses
- New welfare programs need to be digitally enabled to be effective.
- Digitalise process and eliminate vulnerable paper-based process.
- Build a tracking platform and industry portal to allow information to be delivered to the post racing community.
- Deliver efficient and scalable processes focused on welfare outcomes via the portal
- Ensure horse data capture, visibility, transparency and reporting outcomes
- Build community engagement, awareness, education, support and connection.
In and out of race day integrity involving progressive digital automation of Stewards and Vets processes:
- Preparation of race day form and Stewards reports
- Animal check in
- Selection of candidates for blood and urine sampling
- Registration, weigh in, scratching’s, and associated compliance processes
- Race review, Corrective action, and discipline
- Animal ID, Sampling processes, witness, and chain of custody.
Whole of life monitoring and tracking via platform including the following programs:
- Retrain selection and engagement
- Funded retraining for animals that fail to get a post racing placement
- Market Place and new owner registration
- Post racing competition sponsorship intended to increase the value and desirability of retired animals
- Retirement or rehoming process
- Foster care matching
- Funded euthanasia.
Community engagement portal:
- Education, awareness
- Services industry pages
- Public visibility and transparency though ability to search animals and view status and history
- Industry statistics.
- Welfare programs that efficiently executes process flows with minimal intervention and manual steps
- B2B engagement with third party players who have a role in ensuring welfare outcomes
- C2B engagement across a broad ecosystem of users
- Development of an OTT community through a central go to portal
- Horse records that ensure visibility of and reinforcement of post racing careers
- Engagement with a wide range of users with a simple, easy to use user experience encouraging participation and repeat visitation
- Incentivisation for support and involvement in ongoing horse welfare outcomes
- A portal to build community awareness and provide channels for delivery of educational content
- Support for data driven decision making on success of the various programs
- A flexible and modular foundation capability to enable addition of new functionality and programs in future
- Integration with existing regulatory and third-party systems to maintain appropriate databases of record and supports the broader ecosystem.
Director of Innovation and Enterprise