Movies on demand platform architecture: Using analytics to improve user experience from ‘pay to play’
How Unico helped optimise a major streaming service’s user experience through a data driven analytics framework approach to platform architecture.
- Tier 1 Australian Telco
- Create a holistic view of all operational and business data for a pay on demand movie service through platform architecture.
- Increase customer satisfaction and retention rates
- Ensure all customers had access to the service
- Enable customer claim verification
- Disconnected data streams prevented the identification of critical service delivery issues in online movies delivery
- It was impossible to identify how many customers could not use the service they had paid for
- A solution that meshed machine data from organisation systems to deliver an end-to-end view of the online movie service delivery in near real time
- Creation of Designer Analytics™ framework through platform architecture
- A concise picture of system performance enabling the client to act instantaneously
- Weekly transactions were turned around in minutes, giving improved confidence with service delivery and increasing customer satisfaction and retention.
- Increase customer satisfaction and retention
For increased business performance and management, the structures of
large organisations are often highly segmented. Without the right technology platform and platform architecture this can be challenging when business segments are required to share information that relates to service delivery across the enterprise. It can be resource intensive and increase the margin for error, severely compromising business efficiencies and customer experience.
For our customer, separate departments were responsible for managing
different data relating to the delivery of online movie services. The
departments didn’t share data or communicate with each other, making it
difficult to manage service delivery effectively. As a result, management
only became aware of technical issues associated with the online movie
delivery when a customer complained. This made isolating technical issues
difficult and resource intensive. It also led to revenue leakage because the
organisation had no way of verifying customer claims.
As a pioneer leveraging the big data revolution for analytics solutions Unico created a framework, Designer Analytics™, to locate and unlock the value of operational and business data amongst the vast amount of data generated by the organisation. Machine data was mined from systems in the chain and pieced together to deliver an end-to-end view of machine and application chatter associated with online movie delivery.
This information was then placed into context of the service delivery using
customer data and activity. Our domain experts worked with the client to
identify the high value data they possessed and strategies to leverage them.
The platform architecture methodology revealed several other issues impacting business performance; uneven distribution of system loads for transactions, a decommissioned service consuming a third of system resources and longer customer waiting times than anticipated. Discovering these additional performance issues saved the client a costly capacity upgrade and valuable resources while highlighting the need for improved service delivery.