Building an efficient tolling and automation solution with global scale
How Unico helped a toll road owner digitally transform with a new automated tolling platform.
- Integration of toll road operations into a single automated tolling and payment platform
- Legacy systems modernisation and uplift to reduce maintenance costs and adapt to customer preference for digital payments
- SMART automation – a steep increase in trip construction and a reduction in manual processes required of staff
- Processing capacity for roadside message rates exceeding 100 per second
- Ability to process 4.5 million tag and account updates and transmit a further 2 million tag and account status updates daily
Transurban, a toll road owner and operator with interests in Australia and the United States needed to embark on a major IT project to build a new tolling and customer management solution.
Transurban had a range of road projects managed by outdated legacy IT architectures and technologies. This lead to two key problems.
- Exponentially increasing maintenance costs
2. Failing to serve the needs of its customers who expected to be able to pay toll fees digitally
The client sought an automation solution that would address corporate risk concerns, support multi-tenancy and drive channel shift towards online payments whilst avoiding future obsolescence issues.
Day-to-day operations required a solution that would process and manage roadside message rates exceeding 100 per second, receive 4.5 million tag and account updates and transmit a further 2 million tag and account status updates.
Unico needed to integrate all toll road operations with best known practices from seven roads across three jurisdictions into a single platform.
We built a new platform that would reduce IT costs required to operate and maintain their core business.
Other features included:
. Plug revenue leakage from known issues in existing systems
. Reduce costs associated with customer service
. Streamline call centre process through standardisation
. Reduce costs and increasing customer satisfaction.
The new platform would also manage PCI compliance, risk management and disaster recovery across all of the clients business interests.
Roadside images for enforcement and quality assurance now exceed 30Gb per day and are processed using SMART automation and ergonomics which have vastly reduced the number of staff required to complete manual tasks.
Unico’s ability to build high volume, complex systems was critical to the success of the project.
Our tolling solution helped seamlessly transition this organisations most valuable business operations and associated customers to a new platform.
The partnered SMART automation platform now receives tag and account status updates from all toll operators across Australia as well as dealing with high volume roadside message rates and images.
Business Development Manager