Developing Australia’s first eSIM solution for wearable device compatibility: uPair
One SIM, one number, one service. An eSIM (embedded SIM) solution that allows Australians to use the built-in cellular capability of their Apple Watch (GPS + Cellular).
- Tier 1 Australian Telco
- Create a high availability, low latency and fault tolerant eSIM provisioning system
- Allow for a single mobile number to be allocated to multiple devices
- Geo-location enablement
- Full ACID compliance
- Real time performance and storage capabilities
- Develop a subscriber identify module that securely provides subscriber identification information to a carrier’s network
- eSIM provisioning for a shared number service
- CRM integration and customer entitlement management
- Built in multiple edge case scenario capability
- A polished and seamless end-user experience
- Provisioning for 20,000 to 30,000 transactions per day
- Full 4G GPS & Cellular capability for the Apple Watch
Australia’s largest mobile service provider, needed an application that enabled the new Apple Watch to share as single service with a mobile device through sharing accurate subscriber identification information to a carrier’s network. A single mobile number needed to be connected to multiple devices with real-time performance and storage capabilities. The solution needed to be telco grade with real-time and high availability performance requirements.
Our eSIM (embedded SIM) solution introduces the ability for customers to use the built-in cellular capability of their new Apple Watch (GPS + Cellular). Thanks to uPair thousands of Australians are connected to Australia’s biggest mobile network for phone calls and messages via their wearable devices.
Unico’s technology has provided a host of enablers for this service, including management of customer entitlements and CRM integration. uPair encompasses customer-facing screens that enable sign-up processes, entitlements, database systems and mediator protocols which apply updates to various systems across telecom networks.
Our team solved several technical challenges resulting from integrating new technology into an existing national network with an accelerated timeframe. uPair seamlessly handles multiple edge case scenarios such as lost settings, refreshing broken entitlements and timeouts.
Our product was able to meet the needs of a world-class telecommunications provider and deliver a world first in eSIM technology.
– John Rowland, Managing Director, Unico
The project included provisioning and enabling of the eSIM for the Apple Watch to download and update its network whilst allowing paired devices to operate with a ‘shared number’ service. The partnership marked the first time an eSIM technology had been delivered to the Australian consumer market.
Our solution offered a high availability, low latency and fault tolerant solution that facilitated an optimal user experience.
Head of Sales