Defence Telco migration to a microservice database
Our team helped a key Defence Telco enhance a Network Design Tool and migrate to a microservice database. The project included uplifting the design tool to achieve greater automation, reduced errors and better visibility.
- Reduction in errors and enhanced visibly
- Transition to Microservices based architecture
- Migration to a microservice database.
- Automatic generation of design artefacts.
As the services the Defence Telco provided to Defence evolved, the design tool had not been updated in-line with the changes and significant manual tasks were required. The Defence Telco contracted us to work on uplifting the design tool to achieve greater automation, reduce errors and better visibility for Defence.
A sprint plan was provided that outlined the content of each sprint, including the business value that would be delivered in each iteration. While this formed the foundation for the commitments to the Defence Telco, requirements and design were continuously evolved and improved upon in each iteration and for each Sprint, and the Defence Telco had the opportunity to refine or re-prioritise tasks.
The existing solution was a Ruby on Rails monolith application. The uplift work that we performed transitioned the solution to a Microservices based architecture. This provided the Defence Telco flexibility and the additional benefit of allowing development across differing classifications. As Microservices are independent of each other, new services may be developed in an unclassified environment while others are developed in a classified environment.
The applications included:
• Site application providing summary information regarding a Defence site
• ‘Baseline’ application allowing the automatic generation of design artifacts at a given point in time
• Document application managing linkages to reference and design documents
• Concession application managing design concessions and variances
• Approval application tracking and linking design approach.
The solution resulted in several enhancements and automatic generation of two key design artefacts that previously required creating a document and significant manual work.
Business Development Manager
+61 3 9865 9179